How to Make Sesame Chicken and Broccoli
Dice the chicken and cook it in an oiled skillet until it’s nearly cooked through. While the chicken cooks, stir together the sesame chicken sauce ingredients in a separate saucepan and cook until thickened.
Push the chicken to one side of the skillet and dump the broccoli onto the other side. Pour the sesame chicken sauce over top and stir to combine.
Pop the lid onto the skillet and let the chicken and broccoli cook until the broccoli is crisp tender. Garnish with sesame seeds and enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cold water
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- salt and pepper, optional and to taste
- sesame seeds, for garnishing
- To a large skillet, add the oils, chicken, and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, or until chicken is nearly cooked through; stir and flip intermittently to ensure even cooking.
- While chicken cooks, to a small bowl, add the cornstarch, water, and stir to dissolve; set slurry aside.
- To a separate medium saucepan, add the brown sugar, soy sauce, honey, hoisin sauce, chili garlic sauce, ginger, stir to combine, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Allow mixture to bubble gently for 1 minute.
- After the mixture is boiling, add the cornstarch slurry, whisk to combine, and allow the sauce to boil and thicken for 2 to 3 minutes; whisking nearly constantly.
- Push the chicken to one side of the skillet, add the broccoli to the other side, evenly pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli, and gently stir to combine and coat evenly.
- Cover skillet and cook for about 5 minutes, or until broccoli is as crisp-tender as desired.
- Optionally add salt and pepper, evenly sprinkle with the sesame seeds, and serve immediately.
- Recipe is best fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.