Zesty Vegan Italian Casserole
- 1 1/2 cups ground beef substitute
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup of spaghetti sauce
- cup of shredded vegan chedder soy cheese (I used Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet)
- 3 tablespoons vegan sour cream
- 3 triangles of uncooked Pillsbury Refrigerated Crescent Rolls
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Add the onions and olive oil to a sauce pan over medium heat and saute until the onions turn translucent. Then add the ground beef substitute and spaghetti sauce. Let that simmer for about 5 minutes, until it starts to thicken up.
- While the “meat” sauce is thickening, mix together the soy cheese and vegan sour cream in a small bowl.
- Once the “meat” sauce is done, put it in a 7 x7 casserole dish. Top it with the “sour cream/cheese” mixture, then layer on the uncooked crescent roll dough. You might have to stretch the dough a little to cover the entire casserole. Mix the nutritional yeast with the melted margarine and then pour it on top of the crescent dough.
- Put the pan into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Let sit for 5 minutes, then serve!