Luscious Lemon Dream Bars
Servings: 16 bars
For the Shortbread Crust:
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Lemon Filling:
- 3/4 cup lemon juice (from about 4 large lemons)
- Optional: 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups full-fat coconut milk (using mostly the white part)
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- A tiny pinch of turmeric (optional for color, about 1/8th teaspoon)
- Powdered sugar for dusting the tops
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper, leaving some overhang for easy removal.
- Prepare the Shortbread Crust: In a medium bowl, mix together the melted vegan butter, granulated sugar, and salt. Add the all-purpose flour and stir until well combined. The dough will be thick. Press it evenly and firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 16-18 minutes until the edges are lightly golden. Set it aside to cool.
- Create the Lemon Filling: In a medium saucepan, combine the lemon juice, lemon zest (if using), granulated sugar, coconut milk, cornstarch, and a tiny pinch of turmeric for color if desired. Whisk thoroughly to dissolve the cornstarch. Heat the mixture over medium heat while stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves, and the mixture thickens. This should take about 10 minutes. Refer to the photos in the post for reference.
- Spread the Filling: Evenly spread the lemon filling over the baked crust, using a spatula to make it smooth. Bake for an additional 15 minutes, then remove from the oven. Allow it to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes, and then transfer it to the refrigerator for an additional 1-2 hours, or overnight, until it sets.
- Serve and Enjoy: Lift the lemon bars out of the pan using the parchment paper overhang. Dust the top generously with powdered sugar and cut them into 16 squares. These bars can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, and they also freeze well.
- For gluten-free vegan lemon bars, use an all-purpose gluten-free flour like Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Baking Flour.
Nutrition (per serving)
- Calories: 203 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Sodium: 85 mg
- Potassium: 59 mg
- Fiber: 1 g
- Sugar: 22 g
- Vitamin A: 270 IU
- Vitamin C: 5 mg
- Calcium: 5 mg
- Iron: 1 mg
Enjoy your luscious Vegan Lemon Bars!