Taco Bell Mexican Pizza:
for the baked tortillas
▢8 flour tortillas 2 tortillas per pizza, use wheat for a healthier option
▢avocado oil to brush both sides of tortilla
for the beans
▢15 ounces organic pinto refried beans salsa style I like Trader Joe’s
▢1 ½ tablespoon taco seasoning I like Trader Joe’s
▢¼ cup water
▢½ cup white onion chopped
for the veggies, cheese, salsa (divided in 4 servings)
▢2 tomatoes chopped
▢1 jalapeno deseeded & chopped
▢2 stalks scallions chopped
▢2 cups cheese shredded, ½ cup cheese each pizza
▢few spoonfuls salsa or taco bell sauce
Bake the Tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a tray with foil.
- Place 2 tortillas on a flat surface and lightly brush both sides of the tortilla with avocado oil. Prick the tortillas with a fork – this prevents them from puffing.
- Once preheated, put the tray in the oven. Bake for 10 minutes total, 5 minutes on each side so flip halfway. You can add multiple tortillas at a time.
- Tortillas are done.
Make the Beans & Chop Veggies
- In the meantime, make the beans. Empty the contents of the refried beans into a pot and cook on medium heat.
- Add ¼ – ½ cup of water and taco seasoning. Do not add salt since the taco seasoning has enough salt.
- In the meantime, chop an onion. Add the onion to the beans. Once heated through, turn off the stove.
- Chop the tomatoes, scallions, and jalapeno. Set cheese aside.
Assemble Mexican Pizza
- Spread a couple of dollops of beans over the tortilla.
- Top off with a little salsa and spread. Use your favorite salsa, or even Taco Bell sauce will work.
- Place the second piece of tortilla on top.
- Now top with salsa again. Spread.
- Top with scallions, tomatoes, and jalapeno.
- Top with cheese, make sure you get the sides.
- Place the Mexican Tortilla Pizza back on the foiled tray and into the oven at 400 degrees for about 5 minutes. Check after 3 minutes.
- Mexican Pizza is ready. Cut into 4 pieces and serve hot with Taco Bell sauce. You can also garnish with onions, cilantro, or sour cream.
- Gluten-Free option – Be sure to use your favorite gluten-free tortillas. Additionally, make sure the refried beans are gluten-free.
- Vegan option – Use vegan cheese.
- Bake Tortillas – Brush both sides of the tortilla with oil and prick with a fork to prevent them from puffing. Bake for 5 minutes on each side, for a total of 10 minutes.
- Calories: 495kcalCarbohydrates: 47gProtein: 22gFat: 23gSaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 1473mgPotassium: 237mgFiber: 10gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 748IUVitamin C: 10mgCalcium: 434mgIron: 3m