Homemade vegan pizza with a cauliflower-based cheese:
- 3 cups flour (360g)
- 1 packet of yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup warm water (110-115°F or 43-46°C)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Warm the water to 110-115°F (43-46°C). You can microwave it for about 30 seconds or test it with your finger for a very hot bath temperature.
- In the warm water, dissolve the sugar and yeast packet. Let it sit for 10 minutes until it becomes foamy and aromatic.
- In a large bowl, sift in half of the flour and add the salt. Gradually mix in the olive oil and activated yeast mixture. Continue adding the rest of the flour, mixing as you go. The dough should appear somewhat sticky.
- On a clean, floured surface, knead the dough for about a minute. If it’s too sticky, add a little more flour; if it’s too dry, add a touch more water. The dough should be smooth and soft.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place it in an oiled bowl. Cover it with a dish towel and set it aside for at least 30 minutes or until it has doubled in size.
- 1/2 cauliflower (375g)
- 3.5 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1-2 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2-1 cup unsweetened, unflavored non-dairy milk (start with 1/2 cup)
- Cut the cauliflower into small chunks and boil them until they are fork-tender.
- Drain the cooked cauliflower and place it in a high-speed blender along with tapioca flour, nutritional yeast, and 1/2 cup of non-dairy milk.
- Blend until smooth, adding more non-dairy milk as needed to reach your desired cheese consistency. Use less milk for a thicker cheese.
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- In a small bowl, mix together the tomato sauce, garlic powder, dried parsley, dried oregano, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
Assembling the Pizza:
- Preheat your oven to the desired pizza-baking temperature (typically around 450°F or 230°C).
- Roll out the pizza dough on a floured surface to your desired thickness.
- Place the dough on a pizza pan or baking sheet.
- Spread the pizza sauce evenly over the dough.
- Add your cauliflower-based vegan cheese or any other toppings of your choice.
- Bake the pizza in the preheated oven until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted and bubbly, usually about 12-15 minutes, but times may vary depending on your oven and thickness of the crust.
- Slice and enjoy your homemade vegan pizza!