This Cabbage and Sausage Soup is the perfect way to warm up on a chilly night! This soup is rich, comforting and about 5 net carbs a bowl!
- 16 ounce smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup carrots, chopped
- 3-4 cups cabbage, chopped
- 32 ounces broth (vegetable, beef or chicken)
- 2 teaspoons EACH onion and garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon EACH paprika and oregano
- Heat a dutch oven or large pot to medium heat. Add the sliced sausage to the skillet, stirring occasionally until browned. (Optional: If you wish to remove some of the oil from the skillet use paper towels to blot the sausage and remove as much oil as desired.)
- Add the garlic, onion, celery, bell pepper and carrots. Saute the vegetables, stirring occasionally for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, chopped cabbage and spices. Allow the soup to simmer (not boil) 10-15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.