Nourishing Comfort: Weight Watchers Chicken and Rice Soup
In the quest for wholesome meals that comfort the soul while aligning with health goals, the Weight Watchers Chicken and Rice Soup emerges as a delightful and satisfying option. This nourishing soup combines the heartiness of tender chicken, the comforting familiarity of rice, and an abundance of vegetables in a flavorful broth, creating a harmonious balance of taste and nutrition. The beauty of this soup lies not only in its rich flavor but also in its adaptability to fit seamlessly into a Weight Watchers meal plan.
Balanced Nutrition in a Bowl: The key to the appeal of this Chicken and Rice Soup lies in its balanced nutritional profile. Lean chicken provides a protein-packed foundation, aiding in muscle maintenance and overall satiety. The addition of vegetables such as carrots, celery, and onions not only enhances the soup’s flavor but also introduces essential vitamins and minerals. The rice, a source of complex carbohydrates, contributes to the soup’s hearty nature, ensuring it satisfies both the palate and the appetite.
Smart Ingredient Choices: Crafting a soup that caters to Weight Watchers principles involves making thoughtful ingredient choices. Opting for boneless, skinless chicken breasts keeps the soup lean, while choosing whole grains like brown rice or wild rice adds fiber and nutritional depth. The vegetables contribute both flavor and a spectrum of nutrients, turning this soup into a wholesome, well-rounded meal.
Adaptable and Customizable: One of the merits of this Chicken and Rice Soup is its adaptability. Whether you prefer a brothier consistency or a heartier stew-like feel, the recipe accommodates various preferences. Additionally, you can personalize the soup with your favorite herbs and spices, allowing you to tailor it to your taste while keeping it point-friendly.
Satisfying Warmth: Beyond its nutritional merits, this soup brings a soothing warmth that is perfect for chilly days or when you simply crave a comforting bowl of goodness. The aromatic fragrance of simmering chicken and vegetables, coupled with the inviting sight of rice grains plumping up, makes the process of cooking this soup as enjoyable as the act of savoring it.
Portion Control with Flavorful Rewards: The Weight Watchers approach emphasizes mindful portion control, and this Chicken and Rice Soup is a prime example of how portioning can be both practical and rewarding. A carefully measured serving provides the satisfaction of a hearty meal without compromising your commitment to moderation, allowing you to enjoy the comforting flavor without an excess of points.
A Wholesome Ritual: In making and savoring Weight Watchers Chicken and Rice Soup, you’re not just partaking in a meal; you’re embracing a wholesome ritual. The act of crafting a soup from scratch, infusing it with love and nourishing ingredients, reflects a dedication to both health and culinary enjoyment. It’s a reminder that a nourishing meal can be a gesture of self-care and a step towards a balanced, satisfying lifestyle.
This homemade Chicken and Rice Soup has the BEST mix of simple seasonings, juicy chicken, flavorful rice, and tender vegetables. It can be made on the Stovetop or in the Crock Pot and leftovers make a great freezer meal! This is very delicius <3
Calories: 121kcal, Carbohydrates: 16g, Protein: 6g, Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 17mg, Sodium: 803mg, Potassium: 284mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 1444IU, Vitamin C: 16mg, Calcium: 33mg, Iron: 1mg
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon EACH: dried parsley, oregano, thyme, mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup diced carrots
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 1/4 lb. bone-in chicken breast, see notes
- fresh parsley, to garnish
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cups white long grain rice, uncooked. (Or 2 ¼ cups cooked rice.)
Prevent your screen from going dark
- Note: The rice is cooked separately in this recipe to ensure that it doesn’t soak up too much broth in the soup. This allows leftover soup and rice to be stored separately as well, as the rice continues to soak up broth during storage. This soup freezes very well, the rice can also be frozen in a separate storage container.
- Pro Tip: Measure out the ingredients ahead of time. The rest of the recipe will fly by!
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery. Soften for 4 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the seasonings, soy sauce, hot sauce, chicken, and chicken broth.
- Bring the soup to a gentle boil and cover partially. Allow the chicken to slowly cook through (a rapid boil will make it tough). About 15-20 minutes. Remove the chicken and use two forks to shred. (Discard the bones.) Return it to the soup. While the chicken simmers, cook the rice in a separate pot.
Cook the Rice
- Add 1 ½ cups chicken broth to a medium saucepan and bring it to a boil. Add the rice and submerge it in the liquid. Bring back to a boil. Cover tightly and reduce to a simmer, cook for 15 minutes. Turn heat off. Let the rice sit in the pot, covered, for 10 full minutes. Any rice stuck to the bottom will release during this time. This will yield 2 ¼ cups of flavorful rice. Note: Other varieties of rice can be used and will require different amounts of liquid and simmering time. (Refer to package for instructions.)
- Taste the soup and season with salt if desired.
- Spoon the rice into serving bowls and ladle soup on top. If you don’t anticipate leftovers, you can add the rice right to the soup pot. Garnish with parsley and serve!