Vegan Mozzarella Cheese: A Homemade Delight
Embrace the art of vegan cheese-making with our delectable Vegan Mozzarella Cheese recipe. Crafted with simple yet flavorful ingredients, this homemade cheese offers a creamy texture and a satisfying taste reminiscent of traditional mozzarella. Whether you’re a seasoned vegan chef or new to the world of plant-based cuisine, this recipe is sure to impress. Join us as we delve into the step-by-step process of creating this dairy-free delight, perfect for adding a touch of indulgence to your favorite dishes.
Total Time: 3 hours (including chilling time)
Yield: Approximately 3 cups
- 1/2 cup raw cashew pieces, rinsed under hot water
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kappa carrageenan
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- Heat-safe dish or mold (approximately 3 cups capacity)
- Prepare Cheese Mold: Select a heat-safe dish or mold and set it aside. Ensure it has a capacity of approximately 3 cups.
- Rinse Cashews: Rinse the raw cashew pieces under hot water for several minutes to remove any debris or impurities.
- Boil Water: Place the water in a small pot on the stove and bring it to a boil.
- Blend Ingredients: In a blender, combine all ingredients except the boiling water. Add the rinsed cashews first, followed by the remaining ingredients.
- Add Boiling Water: Carefully pour the boiling water into the blender with the other ingredients. Immediately cover the blender with the lid.
- Blend Until Smooth: Blend the mixture until it is completely smooth, pausing to scrape down the sides of the blender if necessary.
- Transfer to Mold: Quickly transfer the blended cheese mixture to the prepared dish or mold. It will begin to solidify as it cools, so work swiftly.
- Chill: Place the cheese mold in the refrigerator to chill for 2-3 hours, allowing the cheese to set completely.
- Wrap and Store: Once fully chilled, remove the cheese block from the mold and wrap it in paper towels, followed by tightly wrapped plastic wrap. Allow the cheese to mature for a day or two for optimal flavor.
Cooking Tip: Don’t skip rinsing the cashews! This step ensures the cashews are clean and ready to be blended into a creamy texture. If you prefer, you can soak the cashews in hot water for 5 minutes before rinsing again.
Congratulations! You’ve now mastered the art of crafting your very own Vegan Mozzarella Cheese. With its creamy texture, subtle tanginess, and versatility, this homemade cheese is perfect for topping pizzas, melting into pasta dishes, or enjoying on its own. Experiment with different flavors and applications to discover your favorite way to enjoy this dairy-free delight. Whether you’re a cheese connoisseur or simply looking to explore the world of vegan cuisine, this recipe is sure to delight your taste buds and impress your friends and family. Enjoy the satisfaction of creating a delicious and wholesome cheese alternative right in your own kitchen!
VEGAN MOZZARELLA CHEESE
▢½ cup Raw cashew pieces, Rinsed under hot water for several minutes
▢¼ cup Refined coconut oil
▢¼ cup Tapioca flour
▢1 tablespoon Nutritional yeast flakes
▢1 ½ tablespoon Kappa carrageenan
▢1 tablespoon Lemon juice
▢1 ¼-½ teaspoon Salt
▢1 ½ cup Boiling water
Select a heat-safe preferably glass dish that can hold approx 3C and set aside. (This is your cheese mold.)
Rinse cashews under HOT water for several minutes.
Put your water in a small pot on the stove to boil.
Add all ingredients (except the water!) to the blender. Add the cashews first and then everything else on top of the cashews.
Carefully add (so you don’t burn yourself!!!) the boiling hot water into your blender. Put the blender lid on! And blend immediately until completely smooth.
Stop blending once if need be to quickly scrape sides of blender and resume blending right after.
Immediately transfer your cheese to your chosen dish/mold as it will start to solidify quickly as it cools.
Place in refrigerator to chill. No need to cover yet.
After 2-3 hours or when fully chilled, remove cheese block from dish/mold and wrap in paper towels and then tightly plastic wrap. The flavor gets better over a day or two but it’s great as soon as it’s hardened, too. Yeay! You are officially a cheese-maker!
Don’t skip rinsing the cashews! If you don’t want run water over them for several minutes, soak them in super hot water for about 5 minutes and then rinse again.