Portobello Mushroom Sloppy Joes
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 10 oz package of baby portobello mushrooms, diced
- 1/3 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced (optional for spice)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 2-3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Prepare the Sauce: In a bowl, whisk together ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, mustard, chili powder, soy sauce, and black pepper until well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning according to your preference.
- Cook the Vegetables: Heat vegan butter and olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Sauté diced bell pepper and jalapeño until they start to soften. Add onions and garlic, continuing to sauté until onions become translucent.
- Add Mushrooms: Add diced portobello mushrooms to the pan and cook until they are soft and most of the moisture has evaporated. Be careful not to overcook or dry out the mushrooms.
- Incorporate the Sauce: Gradually add the prepared sauce to the pan, stirring well to coat the vegetables and mushrooms evenly. Cook until the sauce thickens and coats the mixture, creating a flavorful filling for your sloppy joes.
- Toast the Buns: While the mushroom mixture is cooking, toast your burger buns in a separate pan with a little butter over low heat until they are golden brown and crisp.
- Assemble and Serve: Spoon the mushroom mixture onto the toasted buns, dividing evenly between them. Top with additional condiments or toppings of your choice, such as sliced tomatoes, lettuce, or pickles, if desired.
- Feel free to adjust the level of spice by adding more or less jalapeño or chili powder according to your taste preferences.
- If you prefer a sweeter sauce, you can increase the amount of brown sugar or molasses in the recipe.
- Serve your Portobello Mushroom Sloppy Joes with a side of crispy oven-baked fries or a fresh green salad for a complete meal.
Enjoy this delicious and satisfying vegan twist on a classic comfort food favorite!
Portobello mushroom sloppy joe
1 tbsp vegan butter
1 tbsp olive oil
10oz package of baby portobello mushrooms, diced
1/3 green bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeño, diced (omit if you don’t like spice. I love it)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2/3 cup ketchup
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp molasses
1 tbsp mustard
¾ chili powder
2-3 tbsp soy sauce
¼ tsp black pepper
*I added the molasses forgetting that I had already put in the brown sugar. If you want to omit one, don’t add the brown sugar.*
*Another note, the tablespoon for the mustard was me squeezing the bottle one good time. Same goes for the soy sauce. The tablespoon for the molasses was me scrapping the bottom of the jar but it looked like tablespoon lol. I urge you to taste and play with it.*
I suggest making the sauce first. Whisk together ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, mustard, chili powder, soy sauce, and black pepper. Adjust it to your liking.
Heat the butter and olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Sauté the bell pepper and jalapeño until it begins to soften. Add onions and garlic until they begin to soften as well. Add the mushrooms and cook until they are soft and a majority of the moisture is gone, but don’t dry it out. I added the sauce a little at a time because I didn’t want to over do it. If you do a pound of mushrooms (instead of my 10oz container), I’m sure the entire sauce mixture will be fine. Cook until the sauce is thickened.
I toasted my bun in a clean pan with butter over low heat. This made two sloppy joes depending on how much you put on the buns. I may have been able to get 3 or 4 if I wasn’t being greedy.
Hope You like it .