Roasted Cauliflower & Lentil Curry Soup
- Neutral oil, 1 1/2 lb cauliflower florets (cut into 1 inch pieces), 2 teaspoons cumin powder, 2 teaspoons coriander powder, 2 teaspoons cinnamon powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon teaspoon black pepper, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional or add more to heat), & sea salt, finely chopped 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped 1 large carrot, finely chopped 1 celery stalk, 3 cloves garlic minced , 1 teaspoon grated ginger, 2 tbsp red curry paste, 1 lb halved baby red potatoes, 1 cup red lentils (cleaned and rinsed), 3 cups vegetable stock, 2 cups water, 1 cup coconut milk, 1 tablespoon of maple syrup, juice of 1/2 lime. 4-6 persons
- Put the cauliflower florets in a large mixing bowl, drizzle 2 teaspoons of neutral oil over them, set aside
- In a small bowl, mix all the spices up to the cayenne pepper and salt
- Add 1 tbsp spice mix to the flowers, mix until coated. Place florets on parchment-lined baking sheet and roast at 425 F for 20-25 minutes, or until edges are golden and caramelized (turn over halfway through cooking time)
- While the cauliflower is browning, coat the bottom of the pan with neutral oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. When the oil is heated, add the onion, celery and carrot, sauté for 7-8 minutes until the onions are golden.
- Add the red curry paste, ginger and garlic mixture to heat and stir, about 2 minutes, until blended.
- Add the broth, water, lentils, potatoes and remaining spice mix. Bring to a boil and cook with the lid partially closed for about 20-25 minutes until the potatoes and lentils are tender. Option: Use an immersion blender, or for a smoother consistency, carefully transfer 1/2 cup of water into a blender and then return it to the pot
- Add coconut milk, maple syrup and lemon juice. Adjust seasoning to taste. Cook for another 5 minutes until fully heated
Add ladle soup and roasted cauliflower and fresh herbs for serving. Enjoy!