- 3-4 medium-sized beets, peeled and thinly sliced or cubed
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup granulated erythritol (or your preferred keto-friendly sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed (optional)
- Fresh herbs (like thyme, rosemary, or dill) – optional for added flavor
- Prepare the Beets: Peel the beets and thinly slice or cube them, depending on your preference. Set them aside.
- Prepare the Pickling Liquid: In a saucepan, combine the apple cider vinegar, water, granulated erythritol (or keto sweetener of choice), salt, whole peppercorns, and smashed garlic cloves (if using). If you’re adding fresh herbs, you can include them here as well.
- Boil the Pickling Liquid: Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Once it boils, reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove it from the heat and let it cool slightly.
- Pickling the Beets: Place the sliced or cubed beets in a clean glass jar or container suitable for pickling. Pour the slightly cooled pickling liquid over the beets, ensuring they are completely covered.
- Chill in the Refrigerator: Let the jar cool to room temperature before sealing it tightly with a lid. Once sealed, place it in the refrigerator. The beets will begin to pickle immediately but will taste best after a day or two in the fridge. They’ll keep well for about 2-3 weeks.