Portobello Shepherd’s Pie
This fast and fresh vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie made with Portobello mushroom, carrots, peas, corn, and onions, all topped with leftover mashed potatoes.
PREP TIME:10minutes mins
COOK TIME:40minutes mins
TOTAL TIME:50minutes mins
YIELD: 6 servings
- For potatoes:
- Skinny Garlic Mashed Potatoes or roughly 4 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 ounce freshly grated parmesan cheese
- For vegetables:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds Portobella mushrooms (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt (divided)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 7 ounces 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley (plus more for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose or gluten-free flour
- 1 ½ cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Prepare Skinny Garlic Mashed Potatoes according to directions.
- For the Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie: In a large sauté pan, heat the butter and oil. Add the mushrooms and ½ teaspoon salt, cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the onion, carrots, parsley, thyme, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper and sauté 10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, cook for 30 seconds, then add the tomato paste, Worcestershire, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle vegetables with the flour, stir to coat and cook, scraping brown bits from the pan, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the broth, peas and corn, cook, stirring often, until sauce has thickened (about 5 minutes).
- To assemble the Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie: Preheat broiler to high.
- Transfer vegetables to an 8” x 11” casserole dish.
- Spread mashed potatoes in an even layer over the vegetables, top with parmesan and broil 5 minutes, or until top is golden. Garnish with parsley.
Serving: 11/2 cups, Calories: 313kcal, Carbohydrates: 50g, Protein: 12g, Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 17mg, Sodium: 731mg, Fiber: 8g, Sugar: 9g