One-Bowl Vegan Cowboy Cookies
Total 29 min
Prep 15 min
- ⅔ cup (149 g) unsalted margarine
- ⅔ cup (147 g) brown sugar
- ½ cup (112 g) granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup (80 mL) unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Tbsp (7 g) ground flaxseeds
- 2 tsp (5 g) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (3 g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 g) baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups (276 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (204 g) rolled oats
- 1⅓ cups (100 g) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup (99 g) raw pecans, chopped
- ¾ cup (126 g) dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add the margarine, brown sugar, and granulated sugar to a large bowl. Whip with an electric hand mixer or cream using a fork.
- Add the applesauce, flaxseeds, cinnamon, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whip again, until everything is well combined.
- Add the flour, oats, and shredded coconut. Gently fold these into the dough with a spoon until partially combined.
- Fold in the pecans and chocolate chips. Stir again until just combined, but try not to over-mix.
- Scoop up a ¼ cup of the dough and roll it into a ball. Then flatten to create a cookie that’s about 1½ cm thick*.
- Place the cookies on the prepared baking tray, leaving about 3 cm space between each cookie. If desired, press some chocolate chips or chopped pecans onto the top of each cookie before baking.
- Bake in the centre rack of the oven for 12 – 14 minutes, or until lightly golden. Let the cookies rest for a few minutes on the baking tray before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
- * These cookies don’t spread when cooking, so they need to be press down into the desired shape.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container on the counter for up to 3 days.
- The cookies can also be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months.