16 oz. or 1 lb. uncooked pasta- I use fiber gourmet or barilla plus pasta-but any
pasta will work or even cooked spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp dry white cooking wine
2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes, preferably different colors
8 oz. feta-chunk/block *see notes
2 cloves or 2 tsp garlic, minced
pinch red pepper flakes
3 Tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the block of feta cheese in the center of a 9×13-inch or 3-quart baking
dish. Arrange cherry tomatoes around the cheese.
- Drizzle the olive oil and white cooking wine over the tomatoes and feta
cheese, ensuring the tomatoes have been tossed with a little bit of oil.
- Sprinkle the top of the feta with minced garlic, fresh basil, red pepper flakes,
salt and pepper.
- Bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.
- After it’s baked for 35 minutes, turn the broiler on high and broil for 2-4
minutes or until the top of the feta has a golden crust to it and tomatoes
begin to blister and pop.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta to al dente per the package directions. I
recommend adding a bit of salt to the water for added flavor. I recommend
reserving a cup of the pasta cooking water to add into the feta tomato
mixture pasta to help thin out the sauce.
- Drain and set aside.
- Mash feta and tomatoes using the back of a fork.
- Add the cooked pasta and/or 1 cup cooked chicken, shrimp, or Italian
sausage crumbles, for additional points and if desired.
- If sauce is too thick, feel free to add some reserved pasta water to thin sauce,
2 oz uncooked equals about 1 cup cooked or about 5 oz cooked.
Block or chunk feta cheese works best and melts nicely. That’s because the
block is less processed and will give a more melty consistency when baked. If
you can’t find the block feta cheese- you can use crumbled feta. Regular,
reduced fat, and fat free feta would work. President Cheese brand makes a fat
free chunk feta cheese.
Nutrition Information: YIELD: 8 Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 238 TOTAL FAT: 9g SATURATED FAT: 4g CHOLESTEROL: 15mg SODIUM: 484mg CARBOHYDRATES: 48g NET CARBOHYDRATES: 27g FIBER: 21g SUGAR: 3g PROTEIN: 14g