This recipe for Keto Vanilla Ice Cream makes a creamy, low-carb version of the classic frozen dessert we all love. I’ve worked hard to develop the best ice cream recipe for an ice cream maker out there. Because it’s low-carb, this ice cream can be a part of a keto, Atkins, gluten-free, sugar free or Banting diet.
Cuisine American, keto, low-carb
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Ice cream maker 25 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Calories 323 kcal
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated stevia/erythritol blend (twice as sweet as sugar-Pure)
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable glycerin
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I like a bourbon based extract for this recipe)
- Bring the almond milk and the cream to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Whisk egg yolks in a large heat proof bowl. Add the sweetener and whisk until blended.
- Gradually whisk the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks. Be sure to add it slowly and whisk vigorously to keep the egg yolks from cooking. Return the mixture to the saucepan. Cook mixture over low heat, stirring frequently, until it reaches a temperature of 165- 170º Fahrenheit. Whisk in the glycerin and vanilla extract.
- Cool mixture completely, stirring occasionally. I like to place the pan in a large mixing bowl of ice to cool the mixture quickly. Alternatively, you can allow it to cool at room temperature for 20 minutes, then refrigerate until chilled.
- Pour cold mixture into an ice-cream freezer and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. When ice-cream reaches the desired consistency, transfer to a freezer-safe container with a lid.
- Allow to soften in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Serving size: About 4.5 ounces