This Keto Mexican Cheesy Skillet Chicken is incredibly flavorful, filling, and easy to make when you need dinner on the table quickly without skimping on taste.
Prep Time35 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time40 mins
Course: Main Course
Keyword: Skillet Chicken
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup diced green pepper
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded (I prepared mine in the slow cooker)
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes
- 1 12 oz bag steamed riced cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning or taco seasoning packet
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Monterrey jack cheese
- In a skillet, melt butter, then saute onion, pepper, and garlic until softened.
- Steam riced cauliflower in microwave according to package directions.
- Addhomemade taco seasoning, Rotel, chicken broth, and cauliflower to skillet.
- Stir to combine then cook on medium/low approx 10 minutes until extra liquid is absorbed.
- Add cooked chicken and stir well. If the mixture gets too thick, add a little more chicken broth.
- Simmer on low covered for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese on top, cover, and simmer until cheese is melted.
- Optional: Serve with sour cream, cilantro, jalapenos, etc.
Tips for Making Keto Cheesy Mexican Skillet Chicken
Below, I’ve included a few tips I’ve found that further simplify this recipe.
- Slow Cooker – By cooking the chicken in my slow cooker first, it cuts back on cooking time so that I can have dinner on the table in a snap. I simply place the boneless skinless chicken breasts in a slow cooker and cover with chicken broth and salt/pepper. Then, I slow cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Instant Pot – If you don’t have a slow cooker or forgot to it in earlier in the day, you can also cook the chicken in the Instant Pot. You can find detailed instructions to cook chicken in the Instant Pot here.
- Grab a rotisserie chicken while you are out to shred as it will drastically cut back on preparation time.
- Substitute Ground Beef – Out of chicken, but still want to make this recipe? No problem, you can easily sub ground beef and beef broth instead of chicken and chicken broth for a nice variation. If you keep ground beef already browned in the freezer like me, you can have dinner on the table in a flash.
There are so many options to garnish Keto Cheesy Mexican Skillet Chicken. I’ve included a few ideas below.
- sour cream
- sliced grape tomatoes
- sliced avocado
Calories: 295kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 78mg | Sodium: 470mg | Potassium: 374mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 560IU | Vitamin C: 39.8mg | Calcium: 300mg | Iron: 1.2mg