If you need family dinner this Meatball Casserole should be it. Flavorful low carb meatballs covered in sauce & cheese for the best meatball parmesan ever.
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:45 minutes
Total Time:1 hour
Course: dinner, Main Course
Cuisine: American, Italian
Servings: 8 servings
- ▢1 lb ground turkey
- ▢1 lb Italian sausage
- ▢1 cup shredded mozzarella
- ▢⅓ cup grated or shredded parmesan
- ▢1 shredded zucchini about 1 cup
- ▢1 egg
- ▢2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- ▢2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- ▢2 teaspoon dried basil
- ▢1 teaspoon salt
- ▢1 cup marinara sauce
- ▢8 oz shredded cheese (I used a two cheese pizza blend of mozzarella and provolone)
- Preheat oven to 400. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray
- Combine all the ingredients for the meatballs and mix thoroughly. Make about 24 meatballs and put them in the casserole dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through. Carefully drain the cooking liquid from the casserole dish.
- Top with the sauce and cheese. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Optional: I broiled for 3-4 minutes at the end to toast the cheese. Watch it carefully if you put it under the broiler. The cheese can burn easily.
Nutrition: the nutrition facts are for one serving. This recipe has 8 servings. Each serving is 3 meatballs with sauce and cheese and has 4 NET carbs.
Substitutions: you can use any type of ground meat (beef, pork, turkey, chicken) and any type of Italian sausage (pork, chicken, or turkey) in these meatballs.
You may also omit the zucchini or sub in chopped spinach if you prefer.
Make sure you choose a no sugar added marinara or make your own!
Serving: 3meatballs | Calories: 382 | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 129mg | Sodium: 734mg | Potassium: 543mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 477IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 298mg | Iron: 2mg