This Keto Cuban sandwich Recipe makes a delicious low carb sandwich option. Filled with ham, pork, Swiss cheese and mustard, it’ll satisfy your cravings and still be keto friendly.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
For the bread:
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 4 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the sandwich:
- 5–6 slices of ham
- Pork loin chops, lechon, pork shoulder (as much as you need for however many sandwiches you are making)
- 2 tbsp garlic
- juice of 1/2 an orange
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp oregano
- Deli Mustard
- Swiss cheese (I like 2 slices per sandwich)
To make the bread:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add mozzarella and cream cheese to a bowl and microwave for one minute. Take out and stir well, then put back in the microwave for another minute. Mix to combine well.
- Add egg to mozzarella and cream cheese mixture and mix well. Then add in the almond flour and baking powder and combine well again. (The dough will be wet but if it is too wet that you can’t get it to stop sticking to your fingers then add a little more almond flour).
- Roll the dough flat with a rolling pin or with a piece of plastic wrap on top and use a wine bottle. Once you’ve rolled it flat, about ¼” thick, shape into “bread” shaped pieces. I made squares but you could also do circles, rectangles, etc.
- Lay on a lightly greased cooking sheet, parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
To make pork:
- In a bag or bowl big enough for the pork, mix together olive oil, orange juice, oregano and garlic. Add pork and let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- To cook, heat olive oil in a pan, add in pork and cook until cooked through. Time will vary depending on the thickness of your pork.
- Once cooked, thinly slice pork.
To assemble sandwich:
- Spread mustard on bread then layer on ham, pork, pickles and Swiss cheese. Add to a pan and put another pan on top, weighed down so the sandwich will flatten. Once the cheese has melted, take sandwich out.
If the dough is too sticky to work with, you can do a couple things to help: add a little more Almond Flour to the dough, put the dough in the fridge or freezer for 15 minutes before working with it or rub some olive oil onto your hands.
It’s really important to use Almond Flour instead of Almond Meal. Almond Meal will cause the dough to be kind of crumbly and it breaks apart easily but Almond Flour will make it light and stretch easily.