INGREDIENTS LIST FOR THE INSTANT POT CHICKEN TERIYAKI
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons corn starch + 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 spring onion, chopped, for topping
1. To make the Instant Pot Chicken Teriyaki: Combine 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, cayenne (if using), salt and pepper in a large shallow plate or salad bowl and coat the chicken cubes in the spice mixture. Allow to marinate for a couple of minutes while heating the Instant Pot.
2. Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and melt 1 tablespoon butter. Place diced chicken in the Instant Pot and quickly brown on all sides.
3. In the meantime, whisk together soy sauce, water, honey, fresh minced garlic, remaining garlic powder, rice vinegar, ground ginger, and crushed red pepper flakes. Pour over chicken the chicken pieces and give a quick stir.
4. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, and turn the vent to seal. Press “pressure cook” and set the timer to 5 minutes. Once cooking time is over, do a quick release.
5. Use a slotted spoon to remove chicken and transfer to a large plate or bowl. Set the Instant Pot to the “saute” setting.
6. Once the cooking liquid comes to a simmer, stir together corn starch and water and whisk into the sauce until thickened.
7. Turn off the Instant Pot, transfer cooked chicken back to the pressure cooker and stir well to coat in the sauce, and reheat quickly.
8. Garnish the Instant Pot Chicken Teriyaki with chopped spring onions and serve over steamed rice or cauliflower rice. Enjoy! ❤️
TIPS FOR THE INSTANT POT CHICKEN TERIYAKI RECIPE
One of the best things about this Instant Pot chicken teriyaki recipe is that instead of reducing the homemade teriyaki sauce on the stove, you make it right in the Instant Pot.
- For a low-carb version, serve the Instant Pot Teriyaki chicken over cauliflower rice or even broccoli rice.
How to serve the Instant Pot Chicken Teriyaki
You can serve the Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken with rice. Use brown rice for a higher fiber and protein content. Cauliflower rice or broccoli rice are also excellent low-carb options.
CAN WE USE CHICKEN THIGHS INSTEAD OF CHICKEN BREASTS?
Yes, you can use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts in this recipe. Keep in mind that chicken thighs will render more fat.
CAN WE USE FROZEN CHICKEN IN THE INSTANT POT?
Yes, just the first steps of browning the chicken bites. Pour the sauce directly and cook for 10 minutes instead of 5.
HOW AND HOW LONG TO STORE THE CHICKEN LEFTOVERS
Store any Teriyaki chicken leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator for 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Let sit overnight in the refrigerator to thaw. Reheat slowly in the microwave or on the stovetop, with a splash of water to thin the mixture a little.