prep time: 45 MINUTES
cook time: 30 MINUTES
total time: 1 HOUR 15 MINUTES
- 1 pound ground beef
- 5 links mild Italian sausage
- 1 pound lasagna noodles (about 12)
- 2 12 oz jars pasta sauce
- 2 1/2 Tbsp good tomato paste
- 2 16 oz bags shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 c. grated Romano cheese
- 2 1/2 c. Ricotta cheese
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 c. roasted red peppers
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- All-purpose seasoning blend to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, rinse, and set aside. (Lay them separately on a cookie sheet)
- In a heavy saucepan brown the ground beef and Italian sausage (remove from casing and break up with a fork) Mix in onion, red peppers, and garlic. Cook over medium heat until browned well, drain fat off.
- Add pasta sauce, tomato paste and season to taste with all-purpose blend. Add Italian seasoning, cover, and simmer on med-low for 30 minutes. (For optimal flavor, cook sauce the day before)
- *OPTIONAL I add 1 tsp sugar
- While sauce is simmering, in a mixing bowl combine 1 bag of the mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, Romano, and Parmesan with a beaten egg, spinach, and parsley
- Add 1 c. meat sauce to the bottom of the baking dish, top with lasagna noodles, spoon on cheese mixture. Repeat. Finish with noodles topped with sauce and remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and add additional cheese if desired and bake another 10 minutes until lightly golden brown and bubbly.
- Allow resting 20 minutes before cutting.
- I did have about a pint of sauce left. Put in the freezer bag for a quick lunch one day!