Easy Pretzel Bites
PREP TIME15 minutes
COOK TIME8 minutes
ADDITIONAL TIME1 hour 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME1 hour 33 minutes
- 1 cup warm water ( 108-110 degrees)
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast or 1 packet instant yeast
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups or 10 1/2 oz. Pillsbury bread flour
- 9 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 egg + 1 Tbsp water, beaten
- coarse or kosher salt
- Place warm water ( 108-109 degrees), instant yeast, and brown sugar in a stand mixer. Let it sit for 2 minutes or until the yeast is foamy and activated.(If the yeast doesn’t get foamy or bubbly, your yeast is no longer good.
- Add the salt and flour in the mixer and mix on low speed using the dough hook until combined. Then increase the speed to medium and continue kneading until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl, about 5 minutes or until until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl.
- Spray a large mixing bowl with non stick cooking spray.
- Place dough in bowl and then flip the dough over so that the top of the dough’s has a bit of cooking spray on top. (this helps make sure the top of the dough doesn’t dry out)
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, about 45-60 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a clean surface. Divide dough into six pieces. Roll each one into approximately 12 inch long ropes. Cut each rope into six 2-inch pieces.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, add water and baking soda. Bring to a boil.
- Spray 2 baking sheets with non stick cooking spray or line them with parchment paper.
- Add 12-14 pretzel bites to boiling water. Let them boil for 25-30 seconds.Using a slotted spoon move to prepared sheet pans. Make sure they are not touching. Allow them cool for about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, continue boiling in batches until are cooked.
- Brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle the tops with coarse pretzel or kosher salt.
- Bake in oven for 8-12 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 36 Pretzel Bites or six ( 6 pretzel bites) servings