- 1 1/2 cup SELF-RISING White Cornmeal
- 1 TBS Plain Yellow Cornmeal
- 2 TBS Self-Rising Flour
- 1 TBS Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Buttermilk Whole or 2% Milk (1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup Canola or Vegetable Oil
- 2 TBS Butter
- Heat butter and oil in a small cast-iron skillet until it is very hot, but don’t let Butter turn brown.
- While the oil is getting hot, mix all other ingredients in a large bowl. (If the batter is too stiff, add a little more buttermilk. If it is too soupy, add a little more meal and flour).
- Pour hot oil into the mixture and stir well.
- Pour batter into skillet and let it sit on top of the stove for a couple of minutes so that it will start to form a “crown”.
- Afterward, place the skillet in the hot oven and bake until the bread is golden brown.
- Once you remove bread from the oven, immediately rub the top with butter.
- Always cook bread in a VERY HOT oven (400 degrees)
- Mix the batter always with a whisk (this makes the bread soft).
- Always make cornbread in a cast-iron skillet
Leave a Reply