Keto hamburger buns
- 1¼ cups (5 oz.) super fine almond flour
- 5 tbsp ground psyllium husk powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1¼ cups water
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1¾ lbs ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 tbsp butter or olive oil, for frying
- salt and pepper
- 2 oz. (1½ cups) lettuce, shredded
- 1 (4 oz.) tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 (4 oz.) red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
- 5 oz. bacon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Start by making the hamburger buns. Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Bring water to a boil. Add the water, the vinegar and the egg whites to the bowl while beating with a hand mixer for about 30 seconds. Don’t overmix the dough; the consistency should resemble Play-Doh.
- With moist hands, form the dough into individual pieces of bread, one for each serving. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Be sure to leave enough room on the baking sheet for the buns to double in size.
- Bake on lower rack in oven for 50-60 minutes. They’re done when you hear a hollow sound when tapping the bottom of the buns.
- Fry the bacon slices over medium heat.
- Form the ground beef into individual hamburgers and either grill or fry. Season with salt and pepper when the hamburgers are almost done.
- Split each roll in half and spread a generous amount of mayonnaise on each half.
- Build your hamburger to your taste.
- Pair with a side of coleslaw for added crunch!
What do you do with the three egg yolks left from the bread? Béarnaise sauce, of course! Check out our recipes for béarnaise sauce and chili-flavored béarnaise sauce.
If you need to store the bread you can do so in the freezer. Thaw at room temperature or in a warm oven.
Leave a Reply