Weight Watchers Baked Mozzarella Sticks Recipe with dipping sauce. A healthier version of the classic fried appetizer. They are great for your next party, game day, or for a snack.
PREP TIME 12MINUTES MINS
COOK TIME 20MINUTES MINS
FREEZE 1HOUR HR
TOTAL TIME 1HOUR HR .32MINUTES MINS
- Baking Sheet
- Medium Saucepan
- Shallow Dish
- Small Plate
- Microwave Safe Bowl
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 can (15oz) tomato sauce
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- ⅛ tsp granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp unseasoned panko
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites lightly scrambled
- 4 sticks part-skim mozzarella string cheese
- In a medium sized saucepan, add olive oil.
- Place saucepan over medium/low heat for approximately 1 minute.
- Add garlic, and saute for approximately 1 minute.
- Add 15 ounces tomato sauce, salt, red pepper flakes, and sugar. Stir to mix.
- Heat, stirring occasionally until the sauce just starts to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Take saucepan off of heat.
- In the meantime, in a shallow bowl, add panko bread crumbs, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
- On a small plate, add flour.
- In a shallow dish, add egg whites.
- Roll each string cheese in the flour, gently shake to remove excess, then dip in the egg whites, gently shake to remove excess, then roll in the breadcrumbs,
- On a baking sheet, place the cheese sticks leaving approximately 2 inches between.
- Using olive oil flavored cooking spray, spray the cheese sticks.
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer for one hour, and place the sauce in the refrigerator.
- After 45 minutes, preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Place baking sheet with cheese sticks in the preheated oven, and bake for approximately 8 – 10 minutes, or until the cheese sticks are just heated through, but not completely melted.
- In the meantime, reheat the sauce, either on the stove in a small saucepan, or in the microwave for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- MyWW Points: 2 WW Blue Plan and 2 WW Green Plan
- 2 WW Freestyle Points and 2 Smart Points
- Serving size: ½ cup sauce with 1 mozzarella stick.
- We are not associated with Weight Watchers/WW in any way. Double check points on their official calculator.