Vegan Broccoli Balls
Vegan Broccoli Balls. Broccoli Cheese Balls, veggie / meat balls. Serve with marinara, or over spaghetti or in a sub. Easy Vegan Recipe. Can be gluten-free. Makes 10 to 12, 1 – 1.5 inch balls
Prep Time15minutes mins
Cook Time25minutes mins
Total Time40minutes mins
Author: Vegan Richa
- 1.33 tsp oil
- 0.67 cup finely chopped onion
- 1.33 large head of broccoli , florets and tender stem (peel off the knobs from the stem and use)
- 2.67 tbsp fresh basil leaves or 1 tsp dried basil
- 0.67 tsp dried oregano
- 0.67 tsp garlic
- 0.67 tsp chipotle pepper
- 0.33 tsp ground black pepper
- 0.33 tsp 1/3 tsp salt
- 1.33 tbsp or more nutritional yeast
- 0.33 cup almond meal
- 0.33 cup or more bread crumbs
- 1.33 chia seed egg 1 tbsp chia seeds or chia seed meal mixed with 3 tbsp warm water, let sit for 2 minutes to gel
- 0.33 cup my almond milk pepper jack or other vegan cheese shreds like daiya cheddar or pepperjack optional
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pulse the broccoli and basil in a food processor until grated. Add to the pan. (2.5 to 3 cups grated). Add a dash of salt, mix and cook for 3 to 4 minutes to dry out the excess moisture. (If the broccoli is dry, cook for only a minute). Take off heat.
- Add in the spices, almond meal, breadcrumbs. Mix well. Make the chia seed egg or use 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax seed meal + 2.5 Tbsp warm water) or egg replacer for 1 egg.
- Mix in. Add vegan cheese shreds if using. Add more breadcrumbs if needed.
- Shape the mixture into balls. If the balls are too crumbly (depends on the moisture content, size of grated broccoli etc), add another chia egg, or sprinkle some non dairy milk or aquafaba and mix well.
- Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F / 200ºc.
- Bake for a total of 20 to 25 minutes or until crisp and golden on the outside. (Turn the sheet around after 15 minutes, and continue to bake.). you can also sprinkle some cheese shreds on the balls in the last 5 minutes. Serve warm with marinara or over spaghetti or as veggie balls in a sub sandwich.
Use other nuts as walnuts or pumpkin/sunflower seeds(nut-free) instead of almonds. Process into meal and use. Or use more breadcrumbs.
For variation: add a 1/2 to 1 cup cooked mashed chickpeas or other beans for a hearty veggie ball.
Nutritional values based on one broccoli ball
Calories: 60kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 108mg | Potassium: 190mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 340IU | Vitamin C: 45.8mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 0.7mg