Tomato Chutney Grilled Cheese: A Fusion Delight
Elevate the classic comfort food, Grilled Cheese, with an Indian twist by indulging in our Tomato Chutney Grilled Cheese. This culinary fusion seamlessly marries the rich, gooey goodness of grilled cheese with the vibrant flavors of a homemade tomato chutney, resulting in a delectable sandwich that transcends cultural boundaries. This recipe is a celebration of spices, textures, and the simple joy of enjoying a perfectly grilled sandwich. Join us on a flavorful journey as we craft this Tomato Chutney Grilled Cheese – a true delight for your taste buds.
Ingredients at a Glance:
- Tomato Chutney:
- A flavorful blend of ripe tomatoes, onions, garlic, ginger, green chili, and an array of spices, cooked to perfection.
- Kashmiri red chili powder, coriander powder, and cumin powder, lending a symphony of Indian flavors.
- Sweet and Heat:
- Brown sugar adds a hint of sweetness, while Thai green chili brings the perfect amount of heat.
- Mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and a pinch of asafoetida create the aromatic tempering for the chutney.
- Fresh Elements:
- Lemon juice for a burst of citrusy freshness and chopped coriander leaves for a herbal note.
- Sandwich Assembly:
- Slices of sourdough bread, vegan butter, pickled jalapeno for a tangy kick, and a blend of white cheddar and mozzarella cheese for the perfect melt.
Crafting the Tomato Chutney Symphony:
- Chutney Creation:
- The journey begins by crafting a robust tomato chutney. In a skillet, the tempering of mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and asafoetida lays the foundation for the aromatic base. Onions, ginger, garlic, and green chili join the symphony, followed by the star ingredient – ripe tomatoes. A harmonious blend of spices, including Kashmiri red chili powder, coriander powder, and cumin powder, infuses the chutney with layers of flavor. A touch of brown sugar balances the acidity, and the chutney simmers for 30-35 minutes until thick and rich.
- Chutney Assembly:
- Once the chutney cools, it becomes the centerpiece of our Grilled Cheese. Spread soft butter on slices of sourdough bread, and generously layer the tomato chutney on one side. For an optional kick, add sliced pickled jalapeno. Fresh coriander leaves contribute a burst of herbal freshness. The crowning glory is a generous layer of grated white cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
- Grilling Artistry:
- The assembled sandwich is then toasted to golden perfection in a skillet until the cheese melts, and the bread turns irresistibly crispy.
- Serving Symphony:
- Best enjoyed immediately, the Tomato Chutney Grilled Cheese can stand alone as a culinary masterpiece or be paired with a comforting bowl of soup for a wholesome meal.
Notes for Culinary Bliss:
- Customization Elegance:
- Experiment with different cheese varieties or add your favorite herbs to personalize the Grilled Cheese according to your taste preferences.
- Sourdough Sophistication:
- The use of sourdough bread adds a tangy depth to the sandwich, enhancing the overall flavor profile.
- Culinary Harmony:
- The balance of sweet, spicy, tangy, and cheesy notes creates a harmonious blend that makes this Grilled Cheese a memorable culinary experience.
In conclusion, our Tomato Chutney Grilled Cheese redefines the notion of a classic sandwich, infusing it with the aromatic richness of Indian spices. This fusion delight combines the nostalgia of grilled cheese with the bold flavors of a homemade tomato chutney, resulting in a culinary masterpiece that transcends cultural boundaries. Whether enjoyed as a quick snack, a delightful lunch, or a comforting dinner, this Tomato Chutney Grilled Cheese invites you to savor the symphony of flavors in every bite. Bon appétit!
Tomato Chutney Grilled Cheese
Tomato Chutney Grilled Cheese is an Indian spin to the ultimate comfort food Grilled Cheese with Tomato.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Course: Dinner, lunch, Snack
Servings: 6 sandwiches
- 5 medium ripe tomato
- 1 small onion
- 3 – 4 Thai green chili, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder ( mild red chili powder)
- 1 ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 pinch hing ( asafoetida)
- salt to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- chopped coriander leaves as needed
- sliced pickled jalapeno as needed
- soft vegan butter
- sour dough bread slices
Making the Tomato Chutney –
- In a skillet heat oil, and add the mustard seeds. When the mustard pops, add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle for 15- 20 seconds and add asafoetida.
- Add the finely chopped onion, ginger, garlic and green chili and a pinch of salt.
- Cook till the onion turn soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomato, turmeric, red chili powder, coriander and cumin powder, salt and brown sugar. Give a mix and cook for 30 -35 minutes, stirring in between. do not close the lid while cooking. Mid way in the cooking, taste and adjust the salt and spices.
- After 30 -35 minutes, all the moisture from the tomatoes will be absorbed and the chutney will be thick. At this point you can add some lemon juice to taste. Let it cool for few minutes.
Tomato Chutney Grilled Cheese –
- Spread soft butter on two slices of the sour dough bread.
- On the other side of the bread spread the tomato chutney evenly and add sliced jalapeno ( I used pickled jalapeno, adding jalapeno is optional).
- Add fresh chopped coriander leaves and grated white cheddar and grated mozzarella cheese.
- Top with the other slice of bread. Transfer it to a skillet and toast till brown and crispy and cheese is melted.
- Tomato Chutney Grilled Cheese tastes best when eaten immediately. You can enjoy it by itself or serve it with soup.
If not available, Asafoetida can be skipped