- 1 medium spaghetti squash, halved and deseeded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or avocado oil, divided
- 2 1/ 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 5 ounces spinach, chopped
- 1/ 2 cup cream
- 1/ 2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese, optional
- Salt, To Taste
- Black pepper, To Taste
- Mozzarella cheese, grated or sliced, for topping
- STEP 1Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- STEP 2For easy cutting, feel free to stick your squash in the microwave to soften it up just a tad. Pierce it a few times with a knife (to help vent so it doesn’t burst) and cook for for 3-5 minutes. The knife slides through way easier this way! Smaller squash will need about 3 minutes while larger ones will be good to go at 4-5 min.
- STEP 3Lightly oil the cut side of the spaghetti squash and place face down on a baking sheet. Roast until fork-tender, about 40 minutes. Let cool until handleable. (Squash can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days once fully cooled.) Fluff strands with a fork.
- STEP 4Heat oil in a medium skillet or pot on medium-high. Sauté garlic until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the spinach and stir until wilted. Mix in cream, Parmesan, and cream cheese. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- STEP 5Pour cheese sauce over each squash half, stir to mix, and top with a little mozzarella cheese and additional Parmesan cheese, if desired. Bake for 20 minutes, until hot and cheese is bubbly.
- STEP 6For a golden cheesy topping, turn oven to broil on high for 1-2 minutes until lightly browned. Serve hot.