Yes, you can enjoy tatsy nachos on the keto diet! Simply replace the high carb tortilla chips with crunchy pork rinds. Genius – and delicious.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Diet: Gluten Free
Servings: 8 servings
- ▢1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt or ½ teaspoon fine salt
- ▢½ teaspoon black pepper
- ▢1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ▢1 teaspoon onion powder
- ▢1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ▢1 teaspoon chili powder
- ▢½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ▢¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ▢1 tablespoon olive oil plus extra for the baking dish
- ▢1 lb. lean ground beef (85/15)
- ▢4 oz plain pork rinds
- ▢8 oz shredded cheddar (2 cups)
- ▢½ cup pickled sliced jalapenos
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a rimmed casserole dish with olive oil. A 9 X 13-inch baking dish works well, as shown in the video. In the photos, I made half the recipe so used a smaller baking dish.
- Mix the salt, pepper and spices in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef. Cook, stirring and breaking up the meat, until no longer raw, about 5 minutes. Drain well. It’s important to drain really well or the meat juices will make the pork rinds soggy.
- Return the drained beef to the skillet. Lower the heat to medium and stir in the spice mixture. Cook, stirring, for about 2 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spread the pork rinds in a single layer on the prepared pan. Top with the cooked ground beef, then sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly on top. Arrange the jalapenos on top of the cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately, with your choice of toppings such as hot sauce, sour cream, guacamole, and/or salsa.
1. It’s best to use large puffy pork rinds. I like El Mexicano Chicharrones, which I get on Amazon.
2. Nutrition info doesn’t include any extra toppings such as sour cream or guacamole.
NUTRITION PER SERVING
Calories: 318kcal | Carbohydrates: 1.4g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 353mg | Fiber: 0.4g | Sugar: 0.5g