Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef, browned and fats drained
- 16 oz. cream cheese, softened (I used low fat cream cheese)
- 1 Tbs. each chili powder and ground cumin
- 1 tsp. each onion and garlic powder
- 1 can tomatoes and diced green chilies, with juice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. chipotle sauce or minced chipotles in adobo, optional
Instant Pot Method
- Using the saute setting on the Instant Pot (or any electric pressure cooker), add the ground beef and cook throughout, crumbling the meat as it cooks. When the beef is fully cooked, drain any fats that have accumulated, then add the remaining ingredients (still using the saute setting), stirring occasionally to cook and combine all the ingredients until the soup is smooth and creamy . When the soup is hot throughout, serve at once.
Slow Cooker Method
- Place cream cheese into greased slow cooker set on high. When cream cheese is softened, stir in spices, ground beef and tomatoes; combine well, then stir in chicken broth. Reduce heat to low and cook for 1-2 hours.
Stove Top Method
- Using a sauce pan over medium high heat, add the ground beef and cook throughout, crumbling the meat as it cooks. When the beef is fully cooked, drain any fats that have accumulated. Using medium heat now, add the remaining ingredients, stirring occasionally to cook and combine all the ingredients until the soup is smooth and creamy. When the soup is hot throughout, serve at once.
**Please note: the cooking time stated for this recipe does not include the time required to bring the Instant Pot up to pressure since this can vary. This recipe was made using a 6-quart Instant Pot.
Course: Main Course
Keyword: instant pot, low carb, Low-Carb Tex Mexican Soup, slow cooker, soup
Calories: 481kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 177mg | Sodium: 949mg | Potassium: 789mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1452IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 4mg