SERVINGS :6 SERVINGS
PREP TIME15 MINS
COOK TIME30 MINS
TOTAL TIME45 MINS
- ▢2 pounds ground beef 80/20
- ▢1 yellow onion large
- ▢4 cloves garlic minced
- ▢1 – 15 ounce can of tomato sauce canned
- ▢1 – 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes canned
- ▢1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ▢2 tablespoons dried oregano
- ▢2 teaspoons dried basil
- ▢2 dried bay leaves
- ▢1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ▢1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- ▢10 ounces cabbage shredded
- ▢1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded, (optional, use for the topping)
- In a large dutch oven, cook meat (2 Pounds) over medium heat, breaking it into small pieces with the back of your spoon as it cook. Cook until no longer any pink.
- Stir in yellow onion (1) and minced garlic (4 cloves) and cook until onions are translucent – about 8 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce (1-15 Ounce Can), diced tomatoes (1-14.5 Ounce Can), soy sauce (1 1/2 tablespoons), oregano (2 tablespoons), basil (2 teaspoons), bay leaves (2), seasoned salt (1 tablespoon) and black pepper (1/2 teaspoon).
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in shredded cabbage (10 Ounces), and let the sauce simmer for about 5 minutes (for more crunchy texture) to 10 minutes (for softer texture).
- Remove from heat, discard bay leaves, and refrigerate, if possible, overnight.
- If serving right away, you can sprinkle with cheese and melt in the oven for a few minutes! (I put the oven to broil and cooked for 6 minutes, until the cheese just starts to brown around the edges). Serve warm, and enjoy!
- Meat. You can use ground turkey instead of beef, simply add 1 tablespoon of mild-tasting oil to the pan to cook it.
- Nutritional information is based on 1 serving if you divide this recipe into 6 servings, and includes the cheese topping:
Calories: 521kcalTotal Carbohydrates: 14gProtein: 34gFat: 37gSodium: 2144mgFiber: 4gSugar: 8gNet Carbs: 10g