The first time I ever heard of a “take-and-bake” pizza place, I was confused. Why would you want to drive to a pizza place and leave with a pizza that you would still have to cook when you got home? When I want pizza, I want pizza now. Not a 20 minute drive, 15 minute preheat, and 15 minute bake time from now.
But then I tried a particular brand’s bacon-spinach-artichoke pizza and I didn’t care about the extra time. It was a really good flavor combo and I was hooked. When our family went cold-turkey and cut out all grains and dairy, we couldn’t get my favorite pizza anymore.
- 1 3/4 cups (170g) Pre-Shredded Low-Moisture Mozzarella Cheese
- 3/4 cup (85g) Almond Flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 tbsp Cream Cheese
- 1 Egg
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Tbsp Cream Cheese
- 1/2 tsp Dried Minced Onions
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese, Fresh shredded, not the powdery stuff
- 1/2 lb Bacon, chopped, cooked, and drained
- 1 handful Spinach (fresh or frozen), chopped
- 2-4 oz Cooked Chicken Breast, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4-6 Artichoke Hearts, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1-2 cups Shredded Mozzarella, fresh or pre-shredded
- Parmesan Cheese, Fresh shredded, not the powdery stuff
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Sprinkle a thin layer of almond flour on a pizza stone. If you don’t have a pizza stone, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle a thin layer of almond flour on the parchment. Set aside.
- In a heat-safe mixing bowl, microwave the shredded mozzarella on high for 1 minute. Add in the almond flour and cream cheese and stir to combine.
- Add in the egg, salt, and Italian seasoning. If it’s too hard to mix until smooth with a spoon or spatula, use your hands to knead it until it’s fully combined. It will be a little sticky, that’s okay.
- Form the dough into a ball and place on the center of your pizza stone/baking sheet. Have a bowl of water nearby. Keeping your hands lightly wet, press the dough out into a thin circle. It should be about 12″ in diameter.
- Bake crust in the prepared oven for 8 minutes. Remove when it is slightly puffed and browned. Pierce the crust all over with a fork to release the air and gently press it down to get it ready for the toppings.
- While the crust is baking, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute just until fragrant.
- Add the heavy cream, cream cheese, dried minced onions, Italian seasoning, and Parmesan cheese. Whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Pour the white sauce onto the pre-baked crust. Spread evenly almost all the way to the edge (leave very little edge on the crust, if any at all). Add the diced artichokes, chicken, bacon, and spinach. Top with as much or as little mozzarella as you like. Sprinkle on some extra Parmesan (optional).
- Put the assembled pizza back in the oven and bake for another 6 minutes. Turn the broiler on HIGH and broil for another 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Serve immediately. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to a week.