Keto and Low-Carb Fried Eggplant Medallions
- 2 eggplants
- 150 g of keto-friendly cheese (such as mozzarella or cheddar)
- 100 g of keto-friendly ham (ensure it’s free of added sugars)
- 4 eggs
- 20 g (1/4 cup) grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt (use a moderate amount)
- Almond flour (for coating)
- Crushed pork rinds (for coating, instead of breadcrumbs)
- Cooking oil for frying (choose a keto-friendly oil like avocado oil)
- Cut the eggplants into slices and start assembling the medallions. Begin with a slice of cheese on top, then a slice of ham, and top it with another slice of cheese. Create a sandwich-like structure with the eggplant slices.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and mix in the grated Parmesan cheese. Season this mixture with a moderate amount of salt.
- Dip each prepared eggplant medallion first into almond flour, coating it evenly. Then, dip it into the egg and Parmesan mixture, ensuring it’s well coated. Finally, coat it with crushed pork rinds instead of breadcrumbs. This will give it a crispy, keto-friendly crust.
- Heat cooking oil, such as avocado oil, in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Carefully place the coated eggplant medallions into the hot oil and fry until they are golden brown and crispy on both sides. Be gentle when flipping them to avoid breaking the medallions.
- Once they are cooked to your desired level of crispiness, remove the medallions from the oil and place them on paper towels to drain any excess oil.
Nutrition Information (per serving, assuming 4 servings):
- Calories: Approx. 380 kcal
- Total Fat: 28g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Cholesterol: 238mg
- Sodium: Varies based on the ham and cheese used
- Total Carbohydrates: 14g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- Sugars: 7g (natural sugars from eggplant)
- Protein: 21g
Note: The nutrition information is approximate and may vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients used. Make sure to choose keto-friendly ham and cheese options to keep the carb count low. Enjoy your keto and low-carb fried eggplant medallions!