Total Time1 hourServings12 servingsCalories384kcal Sugar Free
- 1 pound green cabbage
- 2 pounds grass fed ground beef
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups marinara sauce divided
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 cup mozzarella shredded, divided
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt to pot once boiling. Cut the cabbage into quarters and cut the stem off and place into boiling water. Boil for 10 minutes or until outer leaves look translucent and tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Cook ground beef in oil in a large skillet until browned completely. Add garlic, salt and pepper and 1 cup of marinara sauce. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella (save the other cup for topping), eggs, seasonings and parmesan. Set aside.
To assemble in a 9 by 13 casserole dish:
- Lay cabbage leaves to cover the bottom of the dish. Spread half the cheese mixture over the cabbage leaves.
- Spread half the meat mixture over the cheese.
- Lay more cabbage slices over the meat and repeat again with the rest of the cheese and meat mixture. Finish with the final slices of cabbage.
- Top with 1 cup marinara sauce and 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Bake 30 minutes covered then uncovered for 10 minutes. Give it a quick 5 minute broil if you like a crispier topping.
Total Servings: 12Net Carbs for 1 serving: 4gThis recipe was first published in Jan 2019 and updated with video in April 2020.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 384kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 116mg | Sodium: 568mg | Potassium: 332mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 405IU | Vitamin C: 13.9mg | Calcium: 240mg | Iron: 2.1mg